Friday, February 1, 2013

Spicy Tofu Surprise

Happy February everyone!  To start February off I thought I'd post a recipe since it's been awhile.  So one day it was dinner time and I was hungry...(haha) there wasn't much in the fridge or pantry so I had to get creative.  I chopped, mixed, sprinkled, and sauteed to my inner chef's desire and came up with something I will call Spicy Tofu Surprise!  I took my first bite, gave myself a pat on the back and shoveled the rest in my mouth promptly!  To make sure I wasn't imagining the goodness of my dish, I made it again another night for my husband and he confirmed that it was worthy of a blog post.  SO here it is!


What you'll need (makes about 2 to 3 servings):

-1/2 a medium onion, chopped
-1/2 cup brown rice, cooked as instructed on box
-1 1/2 cups frozen carrots, thawed out
-3 slices of tofu (extra firm), about half inch each, then cubbed
-1 tbsp olive oil
-1 oregano (I used dried but I suggest using fresh if you have it on hand)
-1/2 tsp parsley (again fresh would be better)
-1/2 tsp cumin
-2 pinches of garlic powder
-2 pinches of cayenne pepper (more or less if you like)
- salt
-pepper
-3/4 cup spaghetti sauce
-Red or White wine

(Sauteed mushrooms would also be good added into this as well)

Step 1:  Pour yourself a glass of wine and take a sip, cooking is much more fun this way!

Step 2: Pour olive oil in pan and turn stove to medium-high heat.

Step 3:  Add your onions and saute for about 2 minutes

Step 4:  Add tofu and saute for another 2 minutes

Step 5:  Add carrots, oregano, parsley, garlic powder, cayenne, and cumin.  Stir and saute for another 2 minutes.

Step 6:  Add cooked rice and spaghetti sauce and stir to mix everything together.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Step 7:  Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes.

This is what your end product will look like, a little like mush, but GOOD mush!  Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment